Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Eating and Anxiety

I never thought about it in plain and simple terms until I read it in a daily reading this morning. Overeating causes anxiety - for me. Overeating causes mood swings. I know I may also overeat in response to anxiety and mood swings, but overeating is also a cause. I have food hangovers. Wow.

Maybe I discovered this before and acknowledged it but today it seems like a huge realization. That is why when I keep my food "sane" I feel sane. Hmmmmmm. I think I may go back and read some of my old posts when I was steadily losing and keeping track of food. It could be enlightening since I have lost touch. I just gain and lose that last five to ten pounds over and over now. It might be nice to finish this last stage of the weight loss legacy and go into true maintenance of a weight that I am comfortable with instead of settling for this like I have been doing. Some of it is indecision on what my happy weight actually is. But I know one thing. I feel uncomfortable at this weight so I must focus on taking some off and then honestly maintaining at a comfortable level. Not living on the edge.

I am glad I am paying attention to my body's health now and not putting it on the back burner anymore.

That's enough revelations before my morning coffee!! Oh, sheesh, maybe I should give up that, too...

3 comments:

Vickie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Wow. I have to really think about that. Food hangovers.....although I like to blame my mood swings on hormones, perhaps what I eat has something to do with it too.

Bea said...

Hi. What a post. I never ever realized that food was giving me physical anxiety, but it does. When I am sugar free I feel calm and at peace. When I am "sugaring" I feel out of control and wacky within a few hours of my binge. I thought the food made me calmer. And so it does directly after I eat it. I pass out. And then I wake up with a "nutcase" hangover. I thought it was just the self hatred kicking in after the binge. I had not considered a physical cause. Sugar makes kids hyper, why not Us?

Much to think about here. Thanx